Re: AP 900 GTO CP3 Dec Motor Stall and Worm Gear Adjustment?

Roland Christen

In a message dated 7/7/2008 6:06:10 PM Central Daylight Time,
hsielski@... writes:

After about 4 or 5 hours of observing and slewing around, the Dec motor
stalled and the yellow light came on. I'm thinking that this may be due to
my battery voltage getting low (I have one of the little Kendrick batteries
that you used to sell) possibly combined with a slight "tightness" on the
worm gear mesh (since it always seems to be the Dec axis, and you recall I
had a slight problem with this a couple of months ago).
Those batteries don't last very long. What you need is a big marine battery
from one of the big box stores. Cost is around $45 to $65, so it's not
expensive. Reason why it seems to stall when using Dec is that RA is always powered,
running the mount in sidereal mode. When you add Dec, you are increasing the
current draw because now both axes are drawing power. This may put it above the
threshhold of the battery, where it then begins to die.

Rolando

Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for
fuel-efficient used cars.