From: "Joseph Zeglinski" <J.Zeglinski@...>
To: <ap-gto@...>
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2008 9:19 AM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Help - Counterweight shaft stuck to Mach 1 counterweight adapter.

Hi Rich & Joe M.

I don't think that the threads themselves are actually the cause of
jamming the shaft stuck to the DEC shaft adapter (mating) flange.

When this happened to my AP-900 mount, it seemed to me that the "flat
end annulus" at the end of the shaft was jammed up against the similar flat
surface of the adapter. Effectively, this is surface to surface "stiction".
Perhaps applying Chapstick to the flat mating surfaces might prevent a
reoccurrence of this, acting just like a Teflon washer. Then again, I wonder
if something equally nasty might happen with frozen Chapstic in winter.
However, I don't like the idea of anything greasy on parts that an errant
hand or fingers could contact during mount set-up, and might transfer to
optics, etc.

Joe Z.