Re: Help - Counterweight shaft stuck to Mach 1 counterweight adapter.

Joe Zeglinski

Hi Terry,

Same thing happened to me on my brand new AP-900.
It seems that the adapter isn't torqued strongly enough during assembly. Luckily, I didn't screw in the shaft too tightly, and this was in the house, rather than in sunlight.

I suggested to AP that they apply a bit more pressure on the adapter with their wrench, during final assembly. I think mine was barely finger tight - I figured mine was an exception, possibly something missed in QA before shipment.

Second suggestion was to add a Teflon washer to the threaded end of the counterweight bar, so that the bar and adapter don't seize together in a death grip, as has happened in your (and my) case.

In your case, have you tried a fine machine oil, to see if it would unlock the two pars? WD-40 might work, but don't keep it on very long, since it is mildly corrosive - then again, it really shouldn't mar a black anodized part.

If the Mach1 adapter is like the AP-900, you might be able to fashion a "huge spanner wrench". My adapter has two diametrically opposed holes (about 1/4" diameter) for AP's spanner. Take a length of 2x4 (say a couple of feet long). Drive two heavy nails, along the length, into the end to fit into the "spanner holes" of the adapter. Or, a couple of machine screws bolted through the 2x4, and into the adapter (flange) with rubber or plastic washers under the nuts to prevent marring the adapter - this would be a very solid spanner, where the nails might just twist under torque.

With the shaft covered in rubber, cork, or some other protective material, locked in a vice, try to use the 2x4 to twist off the adapter. A 2 foot length of 2x4 should give you plenty of leverage.

That's what I would do to mine, if it ever locked again. I'm still looking for a suitable diameter Teflon washer, but even a margarine tub lid cut to size, will do in the short term. Perhaps AP, on request, could mail their customers a couple of these Teflon washers, to prevent future lock ups.

Good luck,
Joe