Re: Help – Counterweight shaft stuck to Mach 1 counterweight adapter.

MrGrytt

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, "TerryLO" <terry@...> wrote:

I need some assistance. My counterweight shaft (1.875" x 10.7")
is "stuck tight" in the Mach 1 counterweight adapter (the part of the
Dec. Axis portion into which the counterweight shaft is threaded).
The shaft is attached externally (in its normal use position) to the
adapter and not internally (in its optional storage position).

At a public star party Saturday evening, I set up the Mach 1 for use
about an hour before sunset. I hand-screwed the counterweight shaft
into the Mach 1 counterweight adapter and stopped when snug-tight as
usual. (It was in direct sunlight on a warm evening.) When I
dissembled the scope, mount and tripod about 1:00 AM Sunday morning
to go home, I noticed that when I unscrewed the counterweight shaft,
the counterweight adapter unscrewed from the mount attached to the
counterweight shaft.

Not thinking that anything significant was amiss, I wrapped the shaft
and the attached counterweight adapter in large sheet of bubble wrap,
placed in a carrying case and drove home, thinking I would make
everything nice during my usual morning-after clean-up.

But alas, the shaft will not cooperate and separate from the adapter.
I tried several things (using the screw head in the center of the
shaft with an Allen wrench for leverage; soaking the shaft in ice
water while keeping the adapter warm, having two people try to turn
the parts free;…) but nothing has worked. I am cautious about getting
too aggressive with the adapter for fear of damage or disfigurement.

I now have a pretty black machined aluminum adapter firmly apart of
my counterweight shaft and a large opening on the Mach 1. It is
possible to be could used like this (the adapter does have thread
that screw into the body of the Mach 1). But I don't think the
delicate threads of the adapter are meant for frequent use in the
field, it leaves a large opening for dirt on the mount, and it makes
storage of the counterweight shaft awkward.

So…

First, Roland, Wally, other Mach 1 users, what should I do?

Second, have others had this problem with their Mach 1? (I have not
had this problem in 7 years of use of my 600EGTO, but then it is
constructed with different materials and machining than the Mach 1.)

Third, what should be done to prevent this in the future? (E.g. Not
allowing the shaft/adapter to get direct sunlight? Put a washer on
the end of the shaft to allow some play? Get a modified Mach 1
adapter? …)

Thanks for your help

Terry Opdendyk