From: "Morgan Spangle" <msfainc@optonline.net>
To: <ap-gto@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 1:50 PM
Subject: [ap-gto] Re: Leaving as GTO mount outdoors

Arborvitae is the type of evergreen I'm going to use, if you google it
you'll see an image. They're nice and dense, can be bought at the
right height (about 6') and when planted about 2' apart, give a strong
privacy hedge. I'm planning to make an enclosure about 9 x 9 feet on
the inside (unlike a building, I can always trim the walls back a bit
if needed...) and with a good solid gate in a sidewall opening that I
can lock to keep curious kids and critters out. I'm thinking that I'll
plant either grass or a low mossy-type ground cover, have a nice paved
walk to the entrance and a little paved pad inside for a computer cart
I'll wheel in when using the scope. The scope will be on a tripod with
4' deep footings - less intrusive and permanent than a big slab for
the 1200 mount on a pier. I plan a round paved walkway for viewing,
with gravel under the tripod legs and the scope and tripod covered
with Telegizmos 365 covers. Should work well, and look good too.
Money saved from building a remote observatory should buy me a Prius...
Morgan