Re: Leaving as GTO mount outdoors

Wiggins, Rick

Hi Morgan,
Be carefule with that. Many times "unheated buildings" are much
warmer than outdoor ambient and also differ in humidity. My garage
will lbe at least 20 degrees warmer than outside on a cold day and
the humidity will be 20% or more less than outside.
Thanks, Rick

--- In ap-gto@..., "Morgan Spangle" <msfainc@...> wrote:

Hi Mark,

I like the suggestion about removing the electronics to a garage or
unheated building - I could do that easily. Thanks for all the
tips...
Morgan

--- In ap-gto@..., "Mark Clegg" <Mark63clegg@> wrote:

Morgan,

I have had a AP1200GTO for 7 years now, kept in a observatory
here at
my home since day one. The observatory has no heating or
cooling,
just
a small exhaust fan to pull hot air out when the space reaches
100
degrees in the summer. The scope and mount are always near
ambient
temperature, this seems to work well and means quick set-up
times.

The only issues I have experienced during the past 5 years is a
few
keypad resetting problems and several intermittent power
problems.
All
of the problems I have seen were due to oxidation on the pin
connectors
on the electronics.

I would think twice about bringing the electronics (keypad and
control
box) into a heated space after an observing session during cold
weather, this will eventually create problems with the
electronics
due
to condensation. These left in a out building or garage at near
ambient
would be best.

Most important.. I have found that reseating the pin connections
on a
regular basis, every 3-4 months works best for me... is
essential for
maintaining continunity at all electrical connections if the
mount
remains in the elements (event if it is in a observatory). I
also
check and clean all electrical connections at least once a year
prevent intermittent problems.

Mark Clegg
Pittsboro, N.C.

--- In ap-gto@..., Morgan Spangle <msfainc@> wrote:

I'm considering leaving my APO 1200 GTO outdoors over the
winter,
so
that setup/knockdown time is lessened, and since I use it by
remote
control to image anyway. I'm in the Northeast, so we do get
rain,
cold, and snow; I'd have a pretty good over bungeed to the
mount
protect it, and could even keep a lightbulb going all the time
keep moisture from accumulating under the cover. What's the
group's
opinion?

Morgan Spangle