Re: Insurance for astronomy equipment

Bill Bradford

As I posted earlier, I also have State Farm but have a Personal Articles policy that includes not only the astronomy equipment but other high value items.

I wonder if they are putting yours under your homeowner's policy because the observatory is a structure on your property. I don't have an observatory and travel to dark sites, so I wanted something to cover my equipment anywhere it happens to be. My coverage is for replacement value and the rate is quite reasonable.

Of course, I'm in Texas and we have some weird insurance regulations in this state :>), so my circumstance may not apply to those in other states.


----- Original Message -----
From: Dean S
To: ap-gto@...
Sent: Monday, April 07, 2008 11:30 PM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Insurance for astronomy equipment

I just spoke with my home owners insurance this morning, State Farm, and she
said my observatory contents are included with the content coverage of my
house. Cameras, telescopes, computers, etc.

And as long as it is just a hobby there is no additional coverage needed,
assuming it is enough overall. However to be safe I am looking into adding
this as an addition to be absolutely sure there would be no hidden


----- Original Message -----
From: "mizzou156" <mizzou156@...>
To: <ap-gto@...>
Sent: Monday, April 07, 2008 12:10 PM
Subject: [ap-gto] Insurance for astronomy equipment

> Hello,
> Does anyone have the name of a good insurance company that will insure
> telescopes, ccd cameras, ect. Homeowners insurance won't cover it and I
would want full
> replacement cost, should a loss occur. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You
> ------------------------------------
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, or for general information on the ap-gto list
> see! Groups Links

Join to automatically receive all group messages.