Re: Insurance for astronomy equipment

S HEGGIE <stuart.j.heggie@...>

Something else I do is maintain a spreadsheet of serial #'s and market pricing for all items. I give this to my insurance company anytime something major changes. I don't want to get into a debate on the insured value of something that gets stolen. Also, I found out that when you say "camera" or "bicycle" they assume it is cheap - some items over a particular value (bicycle over $1000 for example) they want to see a copy of the receipt.

Stuart

From: "Dean S" <dean@...>
To: <ap-gto@...>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Insurance for astronomy equipment
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 00:30:18 -0400

I just spoke with my home owners insurance this morning, State Farm, and she
said my observatory contents are included with the content coverage of my
house. Cameras, telescopes, computers, etc.

And as long as it is just a hobby there is no additional coverage needed,
assuming it is enough overall. However to be safe I am looking into adding
this as an addition to be absolutely sure there would be no hidden
exclusions.

Dean
www.doghouseastronomy.com