From: Marj <astrophy@...>
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: [ap-gto] Re:Retrofits for QMD mounts
Date: Wednesday, October 13, 1999 7:37 AM

John,
Initially, our goal was to allow upgrades for older 400, 600E, 900 or
1200
stepper motor mounts. However, the accuracy demanded of a go-to mount is
much higher than a conventional mount. As the GTO model of each mount
was
developed, we redesigned various mechanical components to achieve
optimal
performance. These changes cannot be made to existing mounts. The cost
of
updating the electronics of an existing mount would probably be at least
$2,000 (the entire drive system and controller would have to be
replaced),
yet an older mount would not be as accurate as the newer mounts. As a
result, we determined that upgrading would not be cost effective for the
customer. We have decided that upgrades will not be made available. I'm
sorry that it didn't work out.
Marjorie Christen

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto