Horsehead region in Hydrogen Alpha

Tom Carrico

Hi all,
We had a break in the rain and snow here in the pacific northwet, so it was time for my yearly attempt at objects in Orion. Naturally, the moon was full, but that is just plain not allowed to be a deterrent. After 4.5 hours of exposure, I ended up with the horsehead image in the link below. I would have like more (and color) but there was just not enough time between the trees and neighbors houses. The horsehead just does not get high enough to clear local buildings. Bummer.
I spent quite a bit of time during processing working on different areas to highlight them individually. This is definitely a pretty picture version, not at all representing relative brightnesses.
My original intent had been to go very deep to acquire all the nebulosity that fills the frame, hence the kind of odd framing. The image that is linked here is about half the full frame. On my web site you can see the full frame image. If you stretch that a lot you can see that there is nebulosity filling the frame, but just a bit too noisy. More exposure and color will likely have to wait until next year.
Before imaging the horsehead, I wanted to test out my new extender-q and the latest version of PemPro on my 1.5 year old AP 900. What a kick that was! Using my ST-10XME with the extender q allowed me to make reasonably accurate measurements of my periodic error. I acquired 7 complete worm cycles and let PemPro work its magic. It was able to reduce the periodic from 10 arcsecs peak to peak to 2.3 arcseconds peak to peak. New technology is so cool.

Here is the image. Comments and suggestions always welcome.

http://www.ccdargo.com/hh_fsq_halpha.htm

Thanks
Tom Carrico
http://www.ccdargo.com/