Re: AP900 sensitivity to wind

Wiggins, Rick

Hi Steve and guys,
I would not recommend these pads for imaging. They may help if you
are bumping the pier and scope with your visual observing. I have
not had any problems with stability with either the AP or the ATS
piers. I have been operating two setups with ATS and AP piers for 3
years in very windy conditions. Both setups work very well!
Thanks, Rick

--- In ap-gto@..., "Steve Peters" <capitoladude@...>
wrote:

That's a good sugggestion, Bob. My AP900 is supported on an ATS
portable pier (which AP also sells), which is very stable, as far
as
I can tell. However, I'll try and anti-vibration pads to see if
they
have any effect.

Thanks,

Steve

www.picturethecosmos.com

--- In ap-gto@..., "Robert Berta" <biker123@> wrote:

I don't see any way the mount itself would contribute to
vibration...it
is most likely the mount support. You didn't mention the type of
support you have. Whether you have a pier mount of some type or
heavy
duty tripod (I use a modified Meade Giant Field tripod from the
7"
meade refractor with my AP900 GTO and 6" APO refractor with STL
camera)
I suspect that you can eliminate the vibration by interrupting
the
hard "connection" to the ground. Get a set of the Celestron,
Meade
or
Orion vibration damping pads and put under the three tips of
your
portable pier/tripod. They use a sandwich of hard plastic with
Sorbothane between them. They dramatically reduce vibration to
at
least
60% of what ever you saw before. I have experimented with these
pads
and they can make even a marginal tripod more than satisfactory.
Just
putting rubber or a piece of carpet between the ground and the
tripod/pier tip will help also but not to the level of the
vibration
reducing pads.

If you have a permanent pier you can also have vibration due to
the
rigid connection to the ground. You could fill the pier with
sand
or
similar material to dampen it. While it would seem that a heavy
metal
tube pier and the AP mount would be desireable...you may have
inadvertently created a form of a tuning fork.

Bob Berta

--- In ap-gto@..., "Steve Peters" <capitoladude@>
wrote:

Hi All,

My AP900 seems to vibrate in even a slight breeze, causing
erratic
guiding and some lost shots. I use both an AP160 on it and an
FSQ.
Everything is battened down tight, so I'm thinking I may need
adjust
out some backlash by tightening the gear mesh a bit. Has
anyone
else
experienced this and if so, is that how you solved it? The
looseness
seems to be mainly in dec and to a lesser extent in RA. My
friend
who
also has an AP900 says his is pretty impervious to light wind,
which
is
as I'd expect it to be.

Thanks,