From: "hewholooks" <hewholooks@...>
To: <ap-gto@...>
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2008 4:16 PM
Subject: [ap-gto] Re: Switching Scopes on 900GTO

Dean,

Could you elaborate on the differences between 'sync'
and 'recalibrate' and when it is proper to use each one with the AP
mount and software.

To me, 'sync' is when I goto a star and hit the 'sync' button on my
planetarium program (Cartes du Ciel) so that the planetarium grid is
in line with the mount.

'Calibrate' at this point is when I am autoguiding and calibrate the
autoguider to match the part of the sky I am imaging in.

Hunter

--- In ap-gto@..., "Dean S" <dean@...> wrote:

Hi Hunter,

I am not perfectly orthogonal yet either, new mount and have not
taken the
time to adjust it yet. But I do not have a problem finding my
targets with
a CCD. I generally stay on the east side so once I am synched or
recalibrated, which is safer, I have no problem on any object.
Even after I
change OTA's there is nto a problem after the first recal.

When I do a flip, I will always flip to a bright star, adjust as
needed,
then recalibrate. This has worked fine for me for 2+ years on my
last
mount, and so far on this one. I keep saying that one of these days
I will
adust it so it will flip perfectly but it has not been a big enough
issue to
bother me yet.

I park each night in #3 and the next start up I can go directly to
a bright
star if it is on the same side of the mount as my last recalibrate
was done
from the previous night. Be sure to understand the difference
between synch
and recalibrate so you don't get into trouble.

Dean