Re: PEMPro

Peter Santangeli

Sigh. Off topic, and I didn't want to start a Mac/PC war, or
proprietary/open-standards war, just solve a problem, but let's put
the record straight.

Parallels is virtualization software that runs on the Mac. You buy it
and a full copy of windows, and run windows on your mac at (almost)
full speed on a virtual machine. I would be stunned if ASCOM didn't
work fine with it - as essentially ALL window software works with it.
As a matter of fact, it actually takes significant work to TRY to
write software that doesn't work under this kind of virtualization.

The only question is whether there are performance problems (very
doubtful) or device support problems (even more doubtful).

My guess is that Pempro will work fine in this manner and let Mac
users run Ray's software and not require any kind of porting, but it
would be good to be tested of course.

Pete

--- In ap-gto@..., Dale Ghent <daleg@...> wrote:

On Jan 9, 2008, at 11:43 PM, Ray Gralak wrote:

Hi Jeff,

No, not at this time. But I am considering getting a Mac Pro
sometime this
year so maybe in the future I will write some Mac software. If I do
it will
almost certainly be Astro-Physics specific.
Since PEMPro utilizes ASCOM, and I'm sure you use the ASCOM reference
implementation, Mac users might be out of luck. The ASCOM maintainers
over at http://ascom-standards.org/ have done a Bad Thing in this day
and age of open standards and tied the ASCOM wire protocol to a
certain implementation... an implementation that is Windows-only due
to its reliance on Windows COM objects.

So if you want ASCOM on any other platform (and on Windows, any
language other than C++ or .Net) you're going to have to roll your
own. To add insult to injury, they even publish the ASCOM standards[1]
in Windows Help File format, so to even get started in making a
platform-agnostic implementation of ASCOM, you need a Windows box just
to study the dern standards.

Sorry for the off-topicness of this post but I had to vent!

[1] http://ascom-standards.org/standards.html

/dale