Re: foam for cases

astrokattner

I purchased cases from Scopeguard (I think AP uses them as well).
They are constructed very well and I have been pleased with them.
Scopeguard uses Ethafoam in the cases which is like the foam used to
ship the mount. The Ethafoam works great. I had custom cases built
with custom cutouts for the ethafoam so I would not have to remove
the dovetail when transporting the mount. You will probably need a
case for each axis.

HTH
Ken

--- In ap-gto@..., "Dean S" <dean@...> wrote:

I am going to make a set of cases for my 1200 and a couple sets for
friends with 900's. My thought was to use the polyethylene foam that
they shipped with but only use 1 layer of it to save space. I will
not be shipping with it but just moving it in and out of my truck for
the occasional star party so it will not have rough handling

I got a sample of the grey firm foam like found in most equipment
cases but it seems very mushy/ soft and would compress a great deal
with the weight of the mount and I fear offer little support unless I
use several inches. The foam that it came with is just the opposite,
very firm but if AP ships with it, it must be good.

I will build the boxes using Baltic Birch plywood with a removable
lid and had thought of making it so that the interior where the mount
sits is exactly the same size as it shipped, but the box ID size
using 1 less piece of the shipping foam. The Dec assembly is not
that large so original size is not a big deal, but it would be nice
to reduce the size for the RA assembly mainly.

Any thoughts or opinions from what others have done?

Thanks
Dean