foam for cases

Dean S

I am going to make a set of cases for my 1200 and a couple sets for friends with 900's. My thought was to use the polyethylene foam that they shipped with but only use 1 layer of it to save space. I will not be shipping with it but just moving it in and out of my truck for the occasional star party so it will not have rough handling

I got a sample of the grey firm foam like found in most equipment cases but it seems very mushy/ soft and would compress a great deal with the weight of the mount and I fear offer little support unless I use several inches. The foam that it came with is just the opposite, very firm but if AP ships with it, it must be good.

I will build the boxes using Baltic Birch plywood with a removable lid and had thought of making it so that the interior where the mount sits is exactly the same size as it shipped, but the box ID size using 1 less piece of the shipping foam. The Dec assembly is not that large so original size is not a big deal, but it would be nice to reduce the size for the RA assembly mainly.

Any thoughts or opinions from what others have done?

Thanks
Dean