Re: Broken clutch knob

Peter Santangeli

I haven't checked yet, but my gut is that the piece that is still in
there is not extraordinarily tight. I don't think it broke due to
tightening (I don't keep them that tight). I think what happened is
the big knob part got hit at some point, and the shaft broke. I seem
to remember that at one point this summer I noticed the knob wasn't
square to the mount. Not looking into how it was put together, I
thought to myself "hmmmm. Interesting construction that could let that
wobble like that but still tighten".

I realize now that what had probably had probably happened is the
aluminum had split but not broken right off. If I had realized the
(somewhat odd) construction of the "bolt" I would have backed it out
and replaced it right away. Live and learn.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll let you know how it goes. I've already
had both the Dec section and RA section back to AP at least once, so
I'd rather avoid another repair visit. I sold my backup G11 last week,
so it would leave me without a good mount!

Pete

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Galiyano Jr" <mgjr@...> wrote:

You *cannot* use the broken off piece or any other threaded
extractor. Whatever is glued to the stud must not be threaded. If
you do, there is no way to unsure tha the threads don't jam like a jam
nut arrangement. If an attempt is made to use glue, I would use a
crayon to wax up the whole inside, then a dremel or small drill bit to
clean up a spot for the bond, or even drill the size of a heavy duty
paper clip and glue that inside the hole.
All that said, I still think an easy out is the way to go. Maybe if
the rest of the clutches are loose, movement of the axis may help
loosen this one.
Mark