Re: Desperately trying (this is the correct one) ... (Happy) end...

S HEGGIE <stuart.j.heggie@...>

Tom, I agree that the laptop strains sometimes in the cold. Up here, 100 miles north of Toronto, I have had to bring the laptop into the house to boot it up (on really cold days) and then return it to the observatory. I don't like subjecting it to those rapid temp changes you can be sure. Since I have a manually rolled off roof, I need to go out there anyway to start a session so it gives me the flexibility to start things off as if I'm staying out and when it is all up and running I return to the house and operate it from there.

Stuart

From: Tom Carrico <tom@...>
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Re: Desperately trying (this is the correct one) ... (Happy) end...
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 09:34:27 -0800

Hi Stuart,
I have used the wireless (and ethernet wired) route with a laptop local
to the telescope. That has worked and my only real issue is that the
screen updates are always slower than direct connecting a PC. I know I
am whining a bit, as it is a minor quibble. Also, I do worry about
wearing out the laptop at the telescope, as in the winter it often gets
well below zero. I know I could put the laptop in a small box, but since
my current solution does work, I have not gone any further on the
wireless route. However, I do agree that it is a very good solution as
it removes some of the extender and converter issues.

Tom C

S HEGGIE wrote:
Tom, for the trip between house and observatory, what about wireless?
That
is what I do and it seems to work like a charm. I use a program called
UltraVNC. The old laptop in the observatory runs the server version and
the
house computer runs the client/viewer version. I use USB and USB->Serial
converters to talk to my AP900GTO, SBIG camera and Robofocus. Seems
stable
enough. The house is about 80 feet from the observatory. I'm running
CCDSoft5, TheSky6 and Focusmax on the laptop btw.

Stuart

From: Tom Carrico <tom@...>
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Re: Desperately trying (this is the correct one)
(Happy) end...
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 08:43:08 -0800

There are issues with USB that have bit me in this hobby. The first is
the length limitation. I image while sitting in my house and that is
too
far for USB, but no problem for serial (or ethernet). I have used a
number of USB extenders and they seem to work okay if all I have
connected at the remote end is the SBIG camera. If I also connect a
USB
to serial convertor at the remote end I occasionally get system hang
ups. I have tried numerous brands of USB extenders and USB-Serial
converters and different computers. Every single one has at least once
caused a system hang up when using a USB-serial converter, which is
solved by removing the USB extender. Now, I have a USB extender for the
camera only and directly attach the USB-Serial converter to a port on
the laptop and run long serial cables to my mount and focuser. That
setup has never, ever hung.
The other thing I don't like about USB is that there is no positive
connection at the camera, it is a friction fit. Perhaps there is a
solution for this, but I have not run across it.
My wish would be for the astronomy community to dump USB all together
and go to an ethernet solution. I am okay with serial for now, but
would
like to see all interfaces migrate to one standard..
Tom Carrico
http://www.ccdargo.com

Salyer wrote:

Since almost no computer today provides a serial interface we all
need to use some type of serial converter. I suspect that the
majority of people use a USB to serial converter. If there is a
problem with USB (which I've never seen) then we've got the problem
anyway.

Greg

At 11:13 AM 12/13/2007, you wrote:

In a message dated 12/13/2007 10:06:39 AM Central Standard Time,
<mailto:rdcrisp%40sbcglobal.net>rdcrisp@... writes:

someone ought to tell microsoft, intel and the rest of the PC
industry
as

well as all the camera and printer manufacturers that they have
chosen
an

unreliable interface: that's the most commonly used interface on

the planet these

days for connecting peripherals to computers.

I am confident this will be news to them, Roland.

I think they are dealing with a completely different issue than we
are.

Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Links