Re: having guiding problems

John Winfield

I've been calibration/guiding in Maxim at 0.5x since I was concerned
about what the minimum move time for the mount would be when doing
small corrections at the (relatively) high speed of 1x.
Running at 0.5x means the correction durations would be twice as long
as at 1x for a given guide star error.

What's the minimum move duration the mount (AP900) can reliably
perform at 1x?

John

--- In ap-gto@..., chris1011@... wrote:

In a message dated 12/9/2007 1:09:22 PM Central Standard Time,
alanv12952@... writes:

All attempts to guide failed until I did the calibration at 0.5
speed, and
guiding at
0.25.
You MUST calibrate at 1x, otherwise you may not get good cal
numbers. With
the ST4 guider, you are working basically blind, so it won't be easy
for you to
figure out what is going on. You might want to place an eyepiece
into your
telescope while the ST4 is guiding, so you can see what is really
happening,
instead of relying on the numbers on the guider screen. Otherwise
you will be
forever groping in the dark, not knowing cause and effect.

Calibration at 1x is needed to get the proper amount of movement on
the guide
chip. Just make sure that the cal time is long enough to get 50 or
so pixel
movement, but not too long to run the star off the chip. You can
then adjust
the guide speed to 1x, .5x or .25x if you wish to slow down the
movement,
however .25x is almost never needed unless you have settings that
are somehow
screwy.

While the ST4 is calibrating, LOOK through your eyepiece so you can
understand what is happening. Again, if you don't do this at least
once with your
setup, then you will be forever wondering what is happening. If you
do use an
eyepiece, and things don't look right, then at least you can explain
to all of us
what you are seeing. Right now you can only say that something is
not working
right, so that leaves all of us to guess. Take the guesswork out of the
equation and LOOK! (that advise is for anyone who has any guiding
issues with their
equipment, no matter what equipment you are using).

Roland Christen

See AOL's top rated recipes