Re: Mating AP900 to Meade field tripod

masterson_harold <hfm5022@...>

Although it does not show it in the pictures I posted there is a ½" -
13 round head bolt under the adaptor plate. This bolt extends
through the tripod head down to the spreader bar. I use a wing nut
to tighten the whole assembly. It's very stable. I had to grind
down the round head of the of the bolt so it would be flush with
the top of the tripod head and not interfere with the adaptor plate.
It's not a big deal but if you could find a ½"-13 flat head bolt you
can skip this step. The azimuth adjuster block can be ordered from
AP. Actually Roland's guys could bang out this plate very quickly.

--- In ap-gto@..., "eddwen2001" <Eddwen@...> wrote:

The AP900 on the Celestron Super HD tripod is a very solid
transportable set-up for my AP155 EDF with piggy-backed ED80 guide
scope. I presume the Meade tripod you have is equivalent. The
three
mounting bolts that hold the plate to the tripod are 5/16"-18.

Note, if you adapt the AP plate to the tripod you will have the
post
for the azimuth adjustment. Harold's plate doesn't seem to have
that. Not absolutely necessary for a permanent pier, but useful in
the field.

A couple of other things to mention, I had to use multiple washers
on
the bolts to keep them from protruding above the top of the plate
where the AP900 mounts and I shortened the .50" dia. centering pin
which is located on the plate. This is not absolutely necessary as
it can be backed out slightly (to keep it from protruding below the
plate).

Clear skies,

Edd Weninger
Overgaard AZ

--- In ap-gto@..., "sandmanchang" <sandmanchang@>
wrote:

Thanks Edd, is your set-up stable? waht scope are you using with
this arrangement?

Sandy

I'm not sure what the top of the Meade tripod looks like. but I
drilled and tapped the AP pier adapter to fit the existing
holes
in
the Celestron Super HD tripod for my AP900. Did not need to
have
an
adapter made.

Edd Weninger
Overgaard AZ

--- In ap-gto@..., "sandmanchang" <sandmanchang@>
wrote:

Thanks Harold, your adapter looks really solid. This is the
way
I'll
go to. Maybe Precise Parts could help.

Sandy

--- In ap-gto@..., "masterson_harold" <hfm5022@>
wrote:

Sandy,

I have posted two photos (look under Meade tripod) of an
adaptor
plate
that I had made for the Meade giant tripod. Others have
used
the
AP
pier adaptor and drill and taped into the top of the
tripod.
tried
this approach and messed it up so I had the adaptor made. I
found
the
aluminum plate on e-bay and had a local shop drill and tap
it
for
me.
I think it cost about $140 total and it is very secure.

--- In ap-gto@..., "sandmanchang"
<sandmanchang@>
wrote:

Dear group.

I would like to mate a AP900 to a standard Meade field
tripod
for
greater portability. Does anyone know where I might
purchase
such an
adapter? Thanks,

Sandy