Re: 3600GTO - El Capitan unveiled at AIC

Dean Salman <cluster@...>

I do know someone interesting in ordering one of these, do you have a
date in mind when they are avaiable. dean

--- In ap-gto@..., "Rick Wiggins" <rickwiggins@...> wrote:

Hi Roland,
I think the switches may be the beat overall idea. I understand the
issue with the clutches, etc. I have installed one mechanical "kill
switch" that shuts off mount power when the mount slews all the way
below the West horizon. A better design is to have two mechanical
switches that can be set to control maximum East and West slewing.
Thanks, Rick

--- In ap-gto@..., chris1011@ wrote:

In a message dated 11/23/2007 12:09:09 AM Central Standard Time,
rickwiggins@ writes:

Hi Roland,
I expect that if you are operating your mount manually or
through a
simple planetary program, you may not ever have the mount get
lost.
However; if you operate remotely in an automated environment,
you are
going to have the mount get lost. There are so many
indeterminate
failure modes of all the software and the computers, that it is
very
likely that you will have this happen. It has happened twice to
me.
Once when a Windows error caused a freeze and then reboot
during
the
night. A second time was when an error between two programs
stopped a
CCDCommander action and the mount eventually hit the pier. Both
instances caused the mount to hit the pier, clutches to slip,
and
mount to get lost.
Thanks, Rick
The problem is this: Once the mount is lost, which way should the
axes move
in order to find the homing signal? east or west?

For a mount which cannot track through the meridian, this
question
is simple.
For a mount that we make with clutches and the ability to track
through the
meridian, this is not so simple.

By the way, the 3600 can be permanently locked down in one
position if need
be. The clutches will not slip. Another option will be for the
astrographic
configuration where your scope cannot hit the pier and can swing
freely through
360 degrees in RA.

Finally, although your command programs might mess up and your
computer might
fail, the servo always knows where it is. therefore, a simple
RA/Dec command
to the servo will result in proper positioning, regardless of
failures in the
commanding software. Only a failure in the servo electronics or
an
improper
Sync will cause the mount to become inoperable.

Hitting the pier in a non-astrographic setup is still a
possibility. This can
be eliminated by the use of two switches added to the RA and Dec
axis which
define the maximum limits that the scope can track or slew to,
and
turn off the
power to the servo if these limits are reached. A remote switch
added across
the contacts of this power switch can re-activate the servo to
allow you to
slew the mount back into safe territory.