Re: Question on ascom driver

Dr. David Toth

At 05:21 PM 11/14/2007, Glenn Wallace wrote:
I believe that Roland has answered this question at least 10 times
previously so perhaps a search of the archives is in order ?. The Sky
doesn't do an RCAL. They (Bisque)apparently know better than Roland and
doing a sync with the scope 1 arc second beyond a flip will result in
the scope trying to dive under the pier. Not recommended. The new driver
that Ray is working on will do the right thing and as long as the driver
is used everything will likely be fine. Using The Sky without the driver
will probably not. And asking Roland to fix the AP firmware to fix a
software problem from Bisque is not a good solution.
Glenn: issuing a Sync is a USER intervention and NOT something that TheSky6 does on its own. In what context are you speaking? And if someone really thinks this happens, has anyone ever mentioned it to SB, because this is the first that I have ever heard of this ...

Things are the way they are because of history ... TheSky issuing a Sync is a de facto standard and pre-dates all other things... The LX-200 protocol existed before the AP firmware, which appears to be a super-set of that protocol now. If there are reasons to do things differently and the situation can be explained logically, then things can be changed. Ascribing malice on anyone's part here is not reasonable, and not supported by the historical record. And as far as I can see, you would only Sync in TheSky once to get the program and the mount working together the first time (unless you change polar alignment).

Dave