Re: portable pier height for 1200GTO

tomoharra <toharra@...>

--- In ap-gto@..., "Dean S" <dean@...> wrote:
Hi Dean,

I have the 48" port. pier that I use when I go to my ranch. My
imaging scope is either my TOA 130 or the FSQ. Check out my web
site.

www.astrodave.com/oharra

Tom O'Harra

Hi All,

While waiting for my new mount to get finished, I am thinking
about the portable pier height. Currently mine is about 38" and the
1200 mount is 2" taller, so if I had a 36" tall AP pier it would be
what I am comfortable with. My observatory pier is this height also.

I will use this at star parties, and don't want to get too low as
passer bys inevitably get too close and seem to want to look down
the scopes, or worse yet shine a light on it while I am imaging:)
My OTA's are currently a C9.25, guide scope, and Epsilon 160, not
sure if I ever will get a big refractor.

So this is why I am a bit concerned with the 32" pier. I do think
the 42" is way too tall for my vertically challenged stature. Ap
said they would consider making me a custom pier tube during their
next run, but of course this also means changing the turn buckles
too or else I would just cut one down myself.

Anyways, I like to hear some opinions and experiences with similar
setups and your pier height considerations.

Thanks,
Dean