From: "Murray Hammick" <mphammick@yahoo.com>
To: <ap-gto@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 5:29 PM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Re: Pier design and sand

The bending can be captured using strain guages (gages for US speakers)

Would anyone be prepared to give all of this a go ?

I liked the idea of the 10" concrete drain pipe - I cannot see that bending
very much. Its a quicker and possibly cheaper alternative to constructing a
reinforced concrete pillar.

MPH

"N. Foldager" <nf@dadlnet.dk> wrote: > If
the Petrie dish has value, then it is far simpler to attach a mic to
the side of a pier, and plug the mic output into your laptop audio port.
I question the "Petri method" as I don't think it for sure can
discriminate between the bell like oscillations (which we don't care
about) and the bending oscillations. (Or can it? The frequency of
latter should be much lower.) I believe that a microphone attached to
the pier will only record the "sound of the bell", not the bending of
the pier.

Best regards,

Niels Foldager

Yahoo! Groups Links