Re: Pier design and sand

Joe Zeglinski

Hi,

I have been thinking about putting a temporary pier in the ground, to see
how the back yard observing spot works out. I don't want to commit to heavy
steel posts and concrete bunker footing.

I was thinking of using one of those very thick walled, 10" diameter,
street water main/sanitation pipes, and simply bury it 3 or 4 feet deep (3
feet above ground), and fill the inside back in with earth (perhaps only to
ground level). I am hoping that the perhaps 1/2", (or thicker), PVC walls
won't ring as much as steel, and will be solid enough for an AP900 system. I
think these street pipes should be temperature stable and should not warp or
vibrate, in normal city street use, so it might have advantages as pier
material. Advantages include being easier to construct, (even remove to adjust
for height), and can eventually be moved to a better spot, or removed
entirely.

Opinions please.

Joe