Re: AP1200 on Permanent Pier sans Observatory

Joe Zeglinski

Hi,

One thing that Marj once recommended to me was to at least remove the CP3
controller, and bring it inside. The concern was for condensation getting into
the electronics, causing corrosion. Air pollution and dew make a good battery
acid solution.

It's quite easy to do if you have replaced the set screws holding it to
the mount, with the optional thumb screws that came with the mount, in a small
envelope (unless it got pitched with the packing peanuts).

It would have been nice if the CP3 controller were designed to be mounted
using "ball bearing spring latches". That way, a simple press of a lever - or
just a tug on the CP3, if it is held in place by additional "ball bearings in
spring sockets" - would release the unit to slide off the mount, without the
hassles of possibly losing the small thumb screws. I mean, you ARE going to
take the Hand Pad indoors for the same reason, so why not the controller as
well.
I say "additional", in case there should be a problem with the springs
approach, and you need to use the old screw retainer method.

Still, I wonder if condensation affects the servo motors as well - the
rest is just stainless steel and aluminum. At least protecting the CP and hand
pad is easy.

Joe