Re: 3600GTO - El Capitan unveiled at AIC

Joe Zeglinski

James,

You can fill the pipe with concrete at ANY time you like, perhaps in a
year or two - if you think it might help.

The only problem is welding the top, which then commits you to the pier as
it is right now, with no adjustments, making height mods impossible. If you
could get a heavy 1/2" steel "trash can" (or top hat, if you prefer) made,
that could be slipped over the top and bolted sideways (mid can) to the pier
on 3 sides, then you could use the side bolts to adjust and shift the can to
level the top of the pier quite easily. As a bonus, next year you could remove
the mount, and unbolt the trash can top, to fill the pipe, if you need to. I
would fill it with beach sand rather than concrete which could crack or strain
the pipe with observatory environmental changes, and see if it helps or
hinders. Then you can always vacuum the sand back out, if it doesn't work.
Besides, if it were me, I would use the pier pipe for an inside PVC cable run,
for a tidier looking exterior. The PVC pipe would enter the pipe through a
small hole (reinforced by welding a steel plumbing nut or pipe collar, if you
like) below deck, and come out at the top below the mount.

Actually, a hollow cylinder is stronger than a solid pipe, so I don't see
the purpose of the discussion. DOB's don't use solid pipe, do they - for good
reason (solidity and vibration issues) ?
(Ref: The Dobsonian Telescope - by David Kriege and Richard Berry)

Joe