Re: AP1200 on Permanent Pier sans Observatory

Wiggins, Rick

Hi JS,
Yes, condensation is a issue. There are many approaches. I suggest
that you make the cover completely air tight on all sides and the
top. On the bottom, have it so that air can enter and exit, but
screened/filtered to keep out tiny insects, etc. Then, install any
small heat source (i.e. 25 light bulb). It works even better if you
install a small fan blowing the heated air over the device to be
protected and limit the amount of air that can enter the system. You
could also insulate the housing to get even more protection.

Also, you might try to negotiate an asthetic approach to a modest
observatory. Check out the Observatories Group
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Observatories/
for some great ideas.

A 1200 on a permanent pier is a dream come true!
Thanks, Rick

--- In ap-gto@..., "Jim S."
<blues_rule_solomon_1999@...> wrote:

Thanks Ian. And thanks much Rick for your help here and off-line
as well!

Ok, you both have me seriously wanting to install a permanent pier
for
my new AP1200. But an observatory is out of the question with the
Aesthetics Committee. So, I worry about protecting the mount from
the
elements, even with something like the Telegizmo 356/24/7 cover.

Isn't condensation an issue with any cover like this? In my
climate,
we can easily have >30deg swings between day and night, with the
relative humidity going from nearly nonexistent to dripping wet,
respectively. It doesn't get terribly cold here though. It's VERY
rare for the low to dip below 30degF on the coldest nights.

Anyone else have their AP1200 mounted permanently, sans
observatory?
How do you protect it (and the pier), and how do you mitigate
condensation if at all?

Thanks,
JS

--- In ap-gto@..., "Ian Underhill" <astro1ds@> wrote:

But I would have to say in the long run you should
consider what Rick said. Having your setup ready and aligned
every
night just makes life sooo much easier and more enjoyable. I
still
can't believe I went for a year before learning that lesson.
Hope
this helps.

Ian

--- In ap-gto@..., Rick Thurmond <yahoogroups@>
wrote:

Jim,
I'm also observatory-less at present, at least compared to my
last
place where I had an Astro-Haven dome. But I would never go
pier-
less. I have a Astro-Pier from LeSeur bolted to a few hundred
pounds
of concrete in the one spot in my yard where I can see the
whole
sky.