Re: NEW El Capitan 3600GTO

Howard Hedlund

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, Richard Crisp <rdcrisp@...> wrote:

One thought though: for a really big "observatory scope" it would
seem to be advantageous to have a fork mount: no meridian swap needed

Hi from AIC:

Believe it or not, this new mount can be configured with an
astrographic pier to allow all-sky coverage with no meridian swap. The
advantage over a fork is more compact size and lower vibration for an
given weight. When I get back next week I will post an image of this
concept. The first prototype that is being installed in Antarctica has
such a configuration that allows tracking 24 hours per day.