From: "Joseph Zeglinski" <J.Zeglinski@...>
To: <ap-gto@...>
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2007 12:45 PM
Subject: [ap-gto] Re: 1200GTO as a portable mount?

Hi Anthony,

I really don't understand the difference between the AP900 and the
AP1200 - except of course for the greater "mass and wind" load carrying
capacity of the 1200.
After all, both are identically designed, and identically manufactured
using
the same machinery. They are effectively twins, with the only difference
being
a 1.21 factor of scale, and thus load capacity.

But if you limit yourself to the SCT load range of the AP900, upto a
2"
SCT for example, won't they perform identically well? The choice then
reaches
a breakpoint for a 14" SCT, and the decision of mount versus human load
carrying capacity does become an issue. Similarly, if you have a long and
wide
refractor OTA (or a Newtonian), wind conditions will favour the AP1200 in
this
shoot out, but on a relatively calm night, I suspect there will be no
visible
difference.

Joe