Re: AP900 yellow light

Joe Zeglinski

Hi Glenn,

Some comments to your reply:

(a) I would think that a yellow light might indicate a marginal "low voltage
supply" thus causing a low voltage for the motors - it (otherwise) normally
flags a motor stall. So, there is evidently, "some contact" with the power
pins.

(b) You say that you tried a second power cable "to isolate to the CP2/3
socket".
Does that mean that the second power cable made no difference, in which case
it is a socket problem?

(c) Does the socket rattle a tiny bit on the panel, if you jiggle just the
open socket firmly with your fingers? If it does, tighten the locking nut, and
retest.
If not, the nut is locking down the socket properly, which moves this to an
internal problem.

(d) Since you gently bent that side tab outward, to improve pressure from the
barrel side, without changes, it can't be that contact point.

(e) If you take a knife blade, or small screw driver blade, and carefully
spread the central pin tines, and it still doesn't help, then the problem is
now somewhere below the socket - i.e. the PCB, too much downward pressure on
the pin, or soldering to the PCB.

(f) I just did a measurement of the length of the central pin (0.30") and the
cable connector (0.325"). This means that the pin can "bottom" into the cable
connector of the plastic tip gets mashed down during a hard lockdown. There is
practically zero margin for the pin, and theoretically, it is possible to push
in the central pin. Don't know what it might do below the pin - perhaps the
pin is on a solid base, just don't know. I just wish the cable mating socket
was a bit deeper. That might explain why NOT tightening the locking ring,
seems to work better. If so, as I suggested, a washer slipped down the
threads, put decrease how far down the cable screws into the panel, but will
still be tight, might help in these rare circumstances. I suppose with time,
the black plastic nylon tip can flatten down.

Regards,
Joe