From: Murray Hammick
To: ap-gto@...
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2007 1:19 AM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Upgrade from CP on an AP900

Brian,

Thanks for the explanation - seemed to be very clear. It looks like a relatively easy conversion and I think I will get onto AP and see what the costs are.

As a matter of interest, have you done anything else to the mount to improve it - you mentioned the tracking problems - but is there anything else one might look at in conjunction with the CP upgrade ?

Murray

Brian Coote <dbcoote@...> wrote: Hi Murray,
Sorry I was a bit hurried and on my way to work on my earlier response.
This is certainly a 'home project'. I am in Australia and everything including a complete lobotomy falls into the home project category.

You only require a set of Imperial / English / Us Hex Allen Keys for the job. Removing the old CP1 box and it's saddle is the only part that requires a bit of time.
The entire circuitry has to be removed before you can unscrew the CP1 box and it's saddle.
After you remove the top cover you unscrew the remaining two bottom screws on the front panel.
This only leaves the RA and Dec drive sockets to be unscrewed from memory before you lift out the circuitry in one piece. The drive sockets are held by 2 screws each.
The CP3 box is only 1/4 the thickness of the CP1 box and just sits on a half dovetail locked by 2 grub screws.

This may sound complex but I did it during my lunch break one day. If you can replace a card in a PC you can do it easily.

My reasons for changing were twofold.
1: I couldn't get reliable PEC with PemPro. I ended up not using it at all as in general it made things much worse.
2: I was also getting an erratic movement during the guide star exposure which smeared the guidestar into a streak. This seemed to be associated with Pulse Guide.
If I shut down PulseGuide and restarted it after tracking was running it seemed to be OK.

I have only done several lots of Ha with the new box but it has been fine in every regard and giving the sort of results I expect fron an AP mount.

Hope this is clear.
Brian
http://www.bcoote-astro.com/default.htm