Re: AP 1200 tracking

Ray Gralak <rgr@...>

As a future feature I'm planning to add sound effects so that as
you adjust the
mount closer PEMPro will beep faster and higher pitched until you
reach the
correct position. This allows you to make the adjustments right at
the mount
without having to go back and forth from the PC.

-Ray
I got a chuckle out of this, as a similar feature has been in ECU
(Earth Centered Universe) Planetarium Software I've used for years.

No offense meant, and I hope you don't perceive one.
Hi Tom,

No offense taken!

I wasn't aware that ECU uses sound but I'm guessing it's not for the same
purpose. I'm guessing in ECU it is used to signal how close you are pointing to
a target object by reading the scope coordinates. Is that correct? In PEMPro's
case you are doing the opposite... while you adjust the mount's altitude or
azimuth to achieve better polar alignment the scope coordinates do _not_ change.
PEMPro has to take a picture, get the star(s) centroid coordinates and update
the sound based on how far it is away from the theoretical target position. And
to make matters fun, until the user finishes adjusting the mount, drift is
occurring so the target position is changing!!! :-)

-Ray