Re: Cables getting caught

rags_the_cat

Hi Dean

I find that cable management is my biggest headache during an
observing session. Cables catching on projections, or tangling with
other cable or me just stepping on one have ruined a fair number of
my photos. Having spent a lot of time in a physics lab I find that
the best solution is to tie the cables into bundles and stick them to
something away from trouble. I usually use painters blue masking
tape. Applied to a dry surface it comes off easy and can be
relocated as needed. It doesn't leave marks or residue. It's
perfect for me since I don't have a permanent set up.

By the way I believe you hosted an evening session I had at Vega-Bray
observatory in Benson last April. I had a great time. I'm still
learning the modern art of CCD imaging. Some of your comments were
very useful.

Best Regards, Jerry

At 07:43 AM 8/15/2007, you wrote:

The other night the cable that connects to the DEC got gaught on the
silver knob that locks the DEC housing down. I suspect this is rare
but a concern. I did replace the black knobs and the cable was
clipped as it should be to the back of the mount.

One thought is to put a larger plastic sleeve around the cable so it is
too large to catch on the knob, because it is fatter. Another if it
would work is to put a cover over the knob. The first idea may work,
any others out there ?

Dean