Re: New images with the 140EDF refractor

Peter Santangeli

Different strokes for different folks.

I personally find narrow band images pretty unattractive. But I have no ambitions to do
science, which is difficult, but clearly possible for amateurs - just ask the many comet
discoverers that are still successful in this day of automated surveys. I would not cast
public dispersions on those who take narrow band - it's a hobby. To each his own.

A good observational astronomer friend of mine once asked me what the point was in
taking (RGB) pictures of something that had been taken a million times before. The
conversation sort of went like this:

Friend: Yet another picture of M31?!
Me: Yeah. It'll be better this year.
Friend: But hasn't it been photographed a million times?
Me: Yeah. By the way, did you say you had been to the Grand Canyon?
Friend: Yes, years ago.
Me: Did you take pictures?
Friend: Of course!.... oh...

Whatever floats your boat.

pete

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Young" <jey@...> wrote:

I wonder what kind of reaction you would get if you could image a bird
in Ha,
SII, and OIII and manipulated the mapped colors so that the result
looked cool?
I think maybe it would look artistic but I think people would want to
see the
real colors.
I dunno. I think Andy Warhol's stuff commands a higher price than Ansel
Adams'.

But I do agree that a narrowband image should be obviously labelled
(somehow).
That's one problem Mr. Warhol didn't have as he chose everyday objects
-- so
his viewers knew what they were "supposed" to look like.

-- Jeff.

________________________________

> I don't think they find much value in RGB or LRGB images.
>
> I find them exceedingly boring quite frankly.

You may find them boring but unlike false color images they
attempt to reflect
reality. :-)

I wonder what kind of reaction you would get if you could image
a bird in Ha,
SII, and OIII and manipulated the mapped colors so that the
result looked cool?
I think maybe it would look artistic but I think people would
want to see the
real colors.

-Ray