Re: How to measure amps, please?

Richard Crisp <rdcrisp@...>

--- In ap-gto@..., "Jim Buchanan"
<jim_buchanan2423707@...> wrote:

I have been trying to measure the amps of this Mach1 for balancing
the
OTA, and I must be missing something. Any help would be appreciated.

Does the ammeter/2-leads act as one of the 2 power wires going to
the
Mach1 control box? Or does the ammeter/2-leads act in parallel to
one
of the 2 power wires going to the Mach1 control box? Or none of the
above?

I am using the A-P supplied power cord with cig lighter plugged
into a
15amp power supply.

Thanks, Jim.

much in the same way you would measure the flow rate of water, you
put an ammeter in series with the load. So one terminal of the
ammeter connects to the power source and the other terminal connects
to the load.

pay attention to polarity particularly if you are using a mechanical
ammeter with the old fashioned galvanometer type movement. A DVM will
normally tolerate a polarity reversal.

also pay attention to the scale you are using if you are using a
mechanical type meter, Don't measure amps with the milliamp scale!