Re: 600E Temp Operating Range

Jerry Lodriguss

Hi Philip,

I'm not laughing at all, I've been under a hood like that also when observing the Sun.

I just didn't realize that I also needed one just to read the hand controller, which, imho, is a major drawback.

Jerry

At 10:59 AM 7/9/2007, you wrote:
Hi Jerry,

The handcontroller screen is very hard to read in broad daylight -
becomes impossible in bright sunlight. You need one of those hoods
that they used in the old days with plate cameras! :-)

This is me trying to set up for Eclipse '99 - nowhere near bright sun
but the screen was still impossible to read. Please don't larf *too*
loudly! :-)
http://www.astrocruise.com/e99pre3.jpg

Philip
--

At 14:40 09/07/2007, you wrote:
Hi Rick,

That might be what it was, I will have to try it again today in
the sunshine.

I did try to shade it from the sun and cup my hands around it but
still couldn't see it.

I did notice that it beeped when I tried to press the west button.

It is very disappointing if this is the reason. Roland is so worried
about it working at minus 50 degrees, but it's not usable for solar
work in the daytime? That is almost inconceiveable.

Jerry

At 10:37 PM 7/8/2007, you wrote:
Are you sure it wasn't working? It can be virtually impossible to see
the display in daylight. You have to shield the display thoroughly and
really work at seeing it. I suspect that it was working just fine. Try
it again in the bright daylight. To check it out, put it at the bottom
of a moderately deep small box and use your head to block the light
from the opening. You should be able to see the display as your eyes
adjust to the 'darkness'.

Rick.

--- In ap-gto@..., Jerry Lodriguss <lists5@...> wrote:

I used my AP 600E GTO mount today to shoot an ISS transit of the Sun...

http://www.astropix.com/HTML/SHOW_DIG/055.HTM

I had planned on doing a daytime polar alignment, and then using the
GoTo to find Venus and focus.

But when I arrived at the remote observing site and plugged in the
drive and electronics for the mount, the hand controller wouldn't
work. The mount tracked, but no hand controller. I unplugged and then
plugged in all the cables again, but no luck.

The ambient temperature at the site was 92F, but it didn't work as
soon as it came out of the air-conditioned jeep.

When I plugged it in when I got back home, in the garage, it worked.

Is 92F outside of the operating range for the hand controller?

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Jerry

Yahoo! Groups Links

A Guide to Astrophotography with Digital SLR Cameras
http://www.astropix.com/GADC/GADC.HTM
.
.
.