Re: 600E Temp Operating Range

Jerry Lodriguss

Hi Rick,

I just took it outside from the garage, and you were right, it was working, just impossible to see.

Thanks,

Jerry

At 10:08 AM 7/9/2007, you wrote:
If it beeped, it was almost certainly working. I did almost the exact
same thing the first time I tried it outside in the daylight. The only
difference was that I was in my backyard and I had another keypad
available to me. I went and got it and when it didn't 'work' either, I
went back inside and powered up the mount in the basement with the
first keypad where I could see the screen just fine. I went back
outside and after much difficulty managed to get the screen into just
enough shade that I could finally see that it was working.
I really don't know what to say. That is just the way the keypad
screen is, too bright at night even on the low setting and far too dim
in the daylight. For my tastes, there should be four settings with an
ultra- dim setting about half as bright as the current dim is, and an
ultra-bright setting at least twice as bright as the regular power-up
setting is. Some nights when I am fully dark adapted, the display
actually seems so bright that it 'hurts' to look at it. I have cut a
piece of red Rubylith to put over the display but seem to lose it
regularly.

Rick.

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Lodriguss <lists5@...> wrote:

Hi Rick,

That might be what it was, I will have to try it again today in the
sunshine.

I did try to shade it from the sun and cup my hands around it but
still couldn't see it.

I did notice that it beeped when I tried to press the west button.

It is very disappointing if this is the reason. Roland is so worried
about it working at minus 50 degrees, but it's not usable for solar
work in the daytime? That is almost inconceiveable.

Jerry

At 10:37 PM 7/8/2007, you wrote:
Are you sure it wasn't working? It can be virtually impossible to see
the display in daylight. You have to shield the display thoroughly and
really work at seeing it. I suspect that it was working just fine. Try
it again in the bright daylight. To check it out, put it at the bottom
of a moderately deep small box and use your head to block the light
from the opening. You should be able to see the display as your eyes
adjust to the 'darkness'.

Rick.

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Lodriguss <lists5@> wrote:

I used my AP 600E GTO mount today to shoot an ISS transit of the
Sun...

http://www.astropix.com/HTML/SHOW_DIG/055.HTM

I had planned on doing a daytime polar alignment, and then using the
GoTo to find Venus and focus.

But when I arrived at the remote observing site and plugged in the
drive and electronics for the mount, the hand controller wouldn't
work. The mount tracked, but no hand controller. I unplugged and
then
plugged in all the cables again, but no luck.

The ambient temperature at the site was 92F, but it didn't work as
soon as it came out of the air-conditioned jeep.

When I plugged it in when I got back home, in the garage, it worked.

Is 92F outside of the operating range for the hand controller?

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Jerry

Yahoo! Groups Links

A Guide to Astrophotography with Digital SLR Cameras
http://www.astropix.com/GADC/GADC.HTM
.
.
.