Re: computer startup sequence question

Joe Zeglinski

Roland,

I think I finally realized - it finally sunk in - WHY you are always so
"unconcerned" about accurate time - as far as tracking and GOTO is concerned.

Let's see if I got this right. For example, let's say I "purposely" set
the local time 3 hours in error !!! Assuming that I know my way around the
sky, I could point the scope manually to the correct alignment star, and
synchronize the mount. After that, it will track perfectly, no matter what
time it thinks it really is. Same thing about GOTO's - it will just do a
relative jump, and hit the target precisely, on the first attempt (after
sync).

As you allude, the only thing that can go wrong is that the controller
will think that the target has set below the horizon (prematurely), - or
perhaps it actually has set 3 hours before, but the controller thinks it is
still up - owing to my 3 hour intentional time error, and tries to hit the
ground in the attempt.

If I have this right, then I finally see that time is not that relevant -
though precise time is convenient so that GOTO's hit the mark on start up,
without my knowing the sky, or in the city, not being able to see the
alignment stars, without the GTOCP3 showing me exactly where they are.

So, correct time really is not essential, but it sure lessens our
workload.

Thanks for the enlightenment,
Joe