Re: SkyTools 2 with my AP 1200 Mount

Roland Christen

In a message dated 6/19/2007 8:10:43 PM Central Daylight Time,
mal@malcoprecision.com writes:

When I connect to the mount it works fine for the first few objects
than the scope points at the ground or almost crashes into the mount.
If Sky Tools is sending RA/DEC co-ordinates only to the mount in the AP
protocol, then the mount will never crash into the ground.

If Sky Tools is sending these co-ordinates in some other language, then it is
possible for the mount to lose position.

If Sky Tools is sending a "Sync" signal to the mount, or if you are doing a
"Sync" in Sky Tools, then it is possible for the mount to reconfigure its
orientation at each Sync. If you do this at some point with the scope under the
mount, then the mount will dutifully pick up every subsequent object with the
scope under the mount.

The servo requires only RA/DEC numbers, nothing else. If it gets this, it
will never be lost. I suspect that Sky Tools is sending other stuff besides the
basic RA/DEC numbers whenever you do a GoTo. Only way to know this would be to
look at the port and see what is being sent out.

Rolando

See what's free at http://www.aol.com.