Re: New features

Dr. David Toth

At 09:36 AM 6/19/2007, Rick K wrote:
And which batteryless Bluetooth adapter will do this job? AFAIK the
serial port on the AP mounts have NO provision for supplying power to
attached serial devices. As well any of those serial devices are about
2 inches long and would stick up waiting to get ripped off the
controller as the scope or camera passed by. No thanks. Integrated is
by far the best solution.
The Socket CSA is 2" or less in size, and can get its power from Pin 9 ... you can wire pin 9 on your mount with 5 volts.
The adaptor doesn't seem to stick out any further than a DB9 would .... I don't think it would be too vulnerable to "attack" if I recall where the connector is.

BTW, I think reworking the mount's electronics to add Bluetooth would very well require RECERTIFICATION by the FCC ...
If I recall correctly, that can cost upwards of $20k - Roland could comment as I am sure he knows the cost.

(The electronics have to be evaluated for the FCC to prove that they do not have significant RF radiation - I'm not sure if a simple rework
would require this, but it would not surprise me)

Your mileage may vary.

Dave