From: "Joseph Zeglinski" <J.Zeglinski@rogers.com>
To: <ap-gto@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, June 16, 2007 9:54 AM
Subject: [ap-gto] Re: GPS on a German Equatorial Mount

Hi Marj,

Please ignore my previous, obviously confused reply. I was too tired to think straight. Of course, I was confusing "calculating" local sidereal time - not setting up the UT entry. Without a computer, LST does require knowing one's precise longitude within a time zone, and GPS would be an occasionally used asset. However, GPS coordinates can just as easily be obtained clicking on Google Maps, for the intended destination observing site.

I have considered GPS, but the portable one's are getting so cheap in the local electronics store, that I wouldn't want to waste money and firmware space for such a trivial item on-board. Even my digital Kodak DCS PRO SLR/n camera has an option for a GPS module inside. If you fish, you might already own a GPS based fish finder, which can be used for mount data setup as well. I don't know if it is possible yet, since I don't own one, but cell phones should be able to display GPS coordinates. New units are required, by the authorities, to have GPS capability. If not displayable, then placing a call to a GPS capable site, should be able to text you back (or by automated voice), the coordinates where you are calling from - perhaps that could be made a "geocities or Yahoo" capability. It would be nice to use the cell phone for GPS info at setup - which in most cases, for a new observing site, would only be a one time requirement anyway. Then again, a car's GPS navigator would suffice as well, with dual use - if you don't trek too far through the woods, from where you parked. Or, press your ON_STAR button, if you are already paying for that service, and ask the operator: "Where the heck am I ?"

However, in the end, I have found that before a trip, I can Google Map zoom down - even to the nearest tree - and use those GPS coordinates when I get there.

There may be more desirable improvements, like USB, and "nice-to-haves" like a power on/off switch, perhaps a nice compact "AP embossed" roto moulded travel case, mount levelling bubbles, (or getting rid of that redundant North-South switch on the panel). An on-going "improvements suggestions" file on this group, might be useful.

Otherwise, there isn't much else to improve on such a fine instrument like my AP900. You also have to be cost conscious - too many add-ons, and the mount will be even less attainable in most amateur's lifetimes.

Cheers,
Joe