Re: GPS on a German Equatorial Mount

Gilles Grosgurin <gilles@...>

An AP OnStar button would be great...

-----Original Message-----
From: ap-gto@... [mailto:ap-gto@...] On Behalf
Of chris1011@...
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2007 12:12 PM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: [ap-gto] GPS on a German Equatorial Mount

Hello All,

Marj informs me that our main competitor has now offered a GPS for the
Gemini
GoTo system. I realize that GPS is vital for Alt-Az mountings, since
tracking
rate of any object in the sky is variable and directly affected by your
location on earth. However, since the tracking rate of a polar aligned
GEM is
always fixed at sidereal, I question the need for this added
complication to the
system (another thing to go wrong out in the field). Myself, I think of
it like
having anti-lock brakes on a speedboat, however Marj is totally
convinced that
we will need this vital bit of technology in order to not be left behind
by
the competition.

So what exactly does GPS offer to a GEM (it won't help you to polar
align)?
Any thoughts from the advanced users out there?

Yahoo! Groups Links