Re: Is an adapted Losmandy G11 tripod good for an AP900?

Joe Zeglinski

Thanks Stuart,

That is indeed reassuring.
I had a fear that the several "levels" of screws or bolts could still leave
the assembly shaky - i.e. too many couplings in the stack. In my setup I was
going to use the 3 screws to bolt a machined G11 "transition collar" to a
standard AP, FSA (flat surface adapter), which is then bolted with 6 screws
to the AP900. I may have the 6 holes in the FSA sides milled out with slots,
so that I only need one AP rotating adapter plate, and make it easy to just
"drop and twist" the AP900 onto the stack, the way that Losmandy designed his
G11. I really hate fussing with a pocket full of screws, in the dark, and
cold - even worse if they have washers as well (really dumb approach).

I did have a concern that these two layers, or levels, of screws could
result in a bit of play. However, by your 12 inch solid extension example,
there should be no such problem.

Regards,
Joe