From: Joseph Zeglinski
To: ap-gto@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2007 11:24 AM
Subject: [ap-gto] Re: rs 233 to USB conversion

Hi Stuart,

I think you need to go into the Firewall program (Norton?), click on
Norton Protection Center's Personal Firewall, select configure.
Choose Networking tab, click on ADD, and then the button, "using a range" -
set your router address range start & end, to include your laptop and any
other devices served by your router. I just set it for all 255 devices, in
case I add something in the 100 range, or below it. I just trust all addresses
behind my router.
I did this with my WRT300N as well.
Every time I reinstall Norton, I always forget to do this last step.
Otherwise, the computers can't see each other or share folders, on the
internal wired or wireless LAN.

The reason your workaround works is that Norton's Firewall doesn't have
the WRT300N's range configured, so the laptop is locked out when it tries it's
initial connection. Don't understand why it then works after that, though -
Norton should still lock it out. Maybe it's just an initialization step that
needs this.

Anyway, set the range, and you won't have to fuss with it until the next
time you reinstall Norton.

Hope this helps,
The other Joe (Z.)