Re: Balance Procedure

Joe Zeglinski

Hi Roland,

This is good news - I was becoming concerned about "meticulously"
rebalancing the counterweights, every time I crossed the meridian. Indeed, the
AP900 is a superb design, and even more so, from what you say about the
rebalance issue.

One question:
You use the phrase "8 lbs out of balance", do you mean 8 inch-lbs?
Being "out of balance" with an 8 lb camera overhand at 6 inches is different
from the same weight overhanging 2 feet away. Could you be more specific about
the "moment arm" on the OTA imbalance you are describing?

Actually, it would be interesting, if someone there could do a bit of
testing in this regard, on various "moment-arm measurements", before you would
consider the AP900 or AP1200 seriously out of balance, for the expected
performance. For that matter, before you would consider possible damage to the
worm gear. That might provide a good rule of thumb which could be applied to
any OTA overload situation, to specific AP mounts.

I suppose one might say that the imbalance on any mount has reached a
maximum, if the clutches won't hold, but some might torque down the clutches
too tightly, even with a wrench, in order to avoid having to shift the
weights.

Thanks for any further info,
Joe