Pulsed LED on Polar Scope

Joe Zeglinski

Hi,

I was wondering if there has ever been a consideration of adding "pulsed
power" control for the PASILL3/4 polar scope. This could be either an argument
to the keypad command to change not only the brightness, but also the on/off
rate for the GTOCP3 reticle socket, or an attached box with a small circuit in
the scope illuminator cable, with which you could adjust the pulse rate and
brightness. This is similar to the way the "Pulse Guide" product operates for
illuminated crosshair eyepieces.

The reason I bring this up, is that I took my PASILL4 outdoors for a dry
run test, in the light polluted skies of suburbia of a large metropolitan
city. It was somewhat difficult to spot Polaris, and did not expect any
success in aligning the second, let alone the third, star onto the reticle.
However, I was amazed to actually see the faint "glimmer" of the second star,
if I quickly rotated the scope eyepiece back and forth. Of course, this was
just a test of the scope itself, not yet mounted in my new AP900. It makes no
sense to oscillate the eyepiece, as in my test, when you are attempting to
precisely align the reference stars on the hash marks - that defeats the
purpose. But I realized that if the red LED illuminator were to be "pulsed",
instead of being steady, it would be easier to align two, or maybe even all
three stars on the reticle.

Since the battery powered setup has neither a dimmer nor a pulse width
adjust, the reticle is far too bright, making it difficult to align on
Polaris. An attached control module, and/or a similar control in the keypad
miscellaneous command set for the reticle port on the GTOCP3 control box,
would be useful. The latter, of course, would be used for not only the polar
alignment with the PASILL4, but also perhaps with an illuminated eyepiece on
the main OTA.

Thanks,
Joe