Re: Help with orthogonality

spcrichey <drichey@...>

So, one person says "Uh, no you should not be able to center Polaris, Polaris is not at the
pole, it is beside it." , and another says "the mount can certainly go to Polaris." I am very
confused. Is not being able to center Polaris an orthogonal error, or not? I have a "normal"
refractor and "normally well" machined rings, so either I am not well enough polar aligned,
or my equipment isn't "normal." --- In ap-gto@..., chris1011@... wrote:

In a message dated 4/24/2007 4:35:40 PM Central Daylight Time,
drichey@... writes:

I beleive it is .8ยบ for CNP. So how does one do the alignment
routine in the AP manual using Polaris and another star?
The mount can certainly go to Polaris. No problem. When properly polar
aligned, any mount can go to Polaris. If you have orthogonal error larger than 0.8
degrees in your telescope, then no equatorial mount will be able to access
Polaris. The mount will point to Polaris for sure, but the scope will point
elsewhere. I assume that every amateur knows that the direction that a telescope
points to is not necessarily the direction that the mount points to. It is up to
you, the user, to align the two. Every basic book on astronomical instruments
will point this out.