Re: AP900 Dec backlash

Jeff <jlc@...>

John..

By any chance were you using The AP Ascom driver?

Fyi, with the new 1200, after installing the Ascom driver and running
PemPro, I ended up needing a ton of backlash compensation.
I tried compensating this w/ the handpad setting which was very odd.

Turns out the default backlash compensentation _setting_ in the ASCOM AP
driver was like 25, which it then loads into the controller.

(I.e. after I installed the driver, the "default value in the UI" was like
25 secs. This didnt show up in the handpad, but visually in the eyepiece it
was very obvious. It took me like two weeks to figure out what was causing
the odd behaviour with the 1200. Powercycling the mount cleared the
problem, but whenever I wanted to control the mount w/ software I'd get the
bad backlash.)

However, this was in RA. Dec was zero, iirc.

Just something to check.

If there was alot of backlash, I'd expect it to be noticible with the "hand"
test. But I could be wrong.

_____