Re: Advice please: Standard verus Rotating Pier Adapter


I call it simply the RA axis or more usually RA section. The altitude
plates and azimuth adjusters are part of this section. The other piece
is the Dec section or Dec axis. Pretty basic.


--- In ap-gto@..., "Joseph Zeglinski" <J.Zeglinski@...> wrote:

Yes, but I think you were right.

A lot of discussion about AP mounts eventually gets into
referring to the
"base section". Quite often I see discussions on Astro Mart, and
other places,
and they refer to the fork. The new fork versus the old fork, the mount
assembly instructions in the manual, the sales and parts catalog -
the term
comes up quite often. I think it was descriptive, but perhaps an
duplicate of something else.

I just wish that AP had selected some other term to name that
part, a long
time ago. Now I dare not use the term "fork", lest perhaps someone
new to the
product, gets momentarily confused with "fork mounts for
telescopes", instead
of "fork mounts for telescope mount axles".

Indeed, it would seem that long standing members of the group
and owners
of an AP mount might possibly not be aware of the "fork" term used
this way.
At least this discussion leaves behind some hard copy in the
archives, for

Just wanted to set the record straight.


----- Original Message -----
From: <kgkirkley@...>
To: <ap-gto@...>
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 12:09 PM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Re: Advice please: Standard verus Rotating
Pier Adapter

I didn't mean to have things get complicated.

I think "Polar Axis Assembly" would suffice.

Kent Kirkley

See what's free at

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

To UNSUBSCRIBE, or for general information on the ap-gto list
Yahoo! Groups Links

Join to automatically receive all group messages.