Re: Advice please: Standard verus Rotating Pier Adapter

Kent Kirkley

In a message dated 4/18/07 10:29:14 AM, writes:

Hi Kent,

    Yes, I dislike using the term "fork", for this AP mount's part, but that
is what they call the "pair of vertical plates and bottom plate" that
the Polar axle. I guess it really looks like and serves as a "fork for the
assembly", but not a "fork mount for a telescope". That really confuses
discussions about mounts, since we use the short form "fork" to imply

    What do you think would be a better term to describe the base plate with
the two vertical side plates? Perhaps AP might accept using a different term
to describe their "base fork", from now on.

    Alternatively, we could simply change the part's terminology to a "yoke"
or will that now imply a form of "horse shoe" telescope mount?

    How about replacing the AP "base fork" terminology with the word
(if that is the correct spelling)?
If I recall correctly, there is a "fork-like" sliding part on the shaft of
every automobile's starter motor, that momentarily pushes the small starter
pinion into the main gear of the car's transmission, when you crank the
engine - so maybe we can suggest that AP change their confusing term, to an
mount's "Bendix".
Any auto mechanics out there that can correct me on this?

Other suggestions?

I didn't mean to have things get complicated.

I think "Polar Axis Assembly" would suffice.

Kent Kirkley

See what's free at

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join to automatically receive all group messages.